How to Clean Stainless Steel Watch Scratches | A Brief Explanation
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
There are many ways to clean stainless steel watch. You can use jeweler’s cloth, metal polish, polishing kit, and many more. Cleaning solutions and ultrasonic cleaning machines are also helpful.
Jeweler’s cloth has a powder on the one side that fills scratches while keeping your hand clean. These jeweler’s clothes are cheap and easy to use. The metal polish is helpful to polish dull stainless-steel timepiece.
If you are using a timepiece in freshwater lakes, then it will need some special treatment. Avoid using a timepiece in saltwater to keep it shiny. Today, we will discuss how to clean stainless steel timepiece scratches with different techniques.
Let’s get started…
How to Remove Scratches from Stainless Steel Watch
There are many techniques to tidy the scratches. But, the jeweler’s cloth and metal polish method are best and simple to apply. You can find both products on online platforms and drug shops.
1. Cleaning with jeweler’s cloth
The jeweler’s cloth comes with powder on one side. This powder is effective in removing minor scratches from stainless steel. The other side of the jeweler’s cloth is clean and used to give final cleaning on the surface. Connoisseurs polishing cloth and euro tool selvyt cloth are best examples of jeweler’s cloths.
Steps for using jeweler’s cloth
- Use one side(with powder) of jeweler’s cloth on the scratches.
- Rub it until the scratches are removed
- Then use the other side of the jeweler’s cloth for final touches.
These jeweler’s cloths are also known as pioneer or shino polishing cloths. That powder on the jeweler’s cloth is red polishing powder. The jeweler’s cloth is a multi-use product.
You can use it for cleaning gold, silver, and titanium timepiece as well. There is some washable sylvet jeweler’s cloth in the market. The elbow grease is the only tool that you will need for this method.
If you have deep scratches on your timepiece, then you can use never-dull. The never-dull is a cotton cloth with a strong cleaner. It works great on deep scratches. The never-dull will create smell like polishing compounds.
To remove scratches from a small area, you can use a fiberglass brush with a jeweler’s cloth. The fiberglass brush will look like a mechanical pencil with glass fiber. You have to rub the glass fiber tip on the corners to remove scratches.
2. Cleaning with Metal Polisher
The metal polisher is a great product to remove scratches from stainless steel. You can use a metal polisher like Brasso multi-purpose metal polisher. With a metal polisher, you will need a soft cotton cloth to rub the polisher on scratches.
Steps for Metal Polisher
- Take the best metal polisher and read all directions carefully.
- Then hold stainless steel timepiece in one hand and soft cotton cloth in the other hand.
- After that, rub the polisher onto the scratches in a small circular motion.
- Rub until scratches disappear
- After completing one side, move to another side and start rubbing
- You can also use a metal polisher on the dial.
- Once you are done, use a clean cotton cloth to remove excess polish.
If you can, then use an applicator pad to rub the metal polisher on the scratches. Otherwise, soft cotton is also an excellent choice, but it can make hands dirty. The applicator pad is available and sometimes comes with a metal polisher.
Let me clear one thing that every time, it will leave microscopic scratches on the timepiece. You can see these micro scratches from wide angles and in bright light.
These scratches can only be removed by factory finish even an expert is cleaning the timepiece. The poly watch is also a helpful product to remove scratches from the timepiece. It is an abrasive paste used for the polishing timepiece.
Read Next : How to Clean a Watch Band Rubber
How to Polish Stainless Steel Watches
You should polish your timepiece every three months to keep it shiny. Many people ask how to polish stainless steel watches at home. Polishing stainless steel timepiece is too simple with the poly watch and other techniques.
1. Polishing with polywatch
The poly watch is an abrasive material that is used to polish every part of the timepiece. Polywatch is also a multiple purpose product. You can use it to polish plastic glass, crystal dial, or stainless steel straps.
The poly watch also removes scratches quickly and with ease. Polywatch is highly recommended to remove scratches from the dial. Let’s see how to use a poly watch…
Steps to use polywatch
- Take a soft cotton cloth and apply a small amount of polywatch to the scratches.
- Then rub the polywatch on scratches with the help of cotton cloth.
- Rub with smooth pressure for a few minutes.
- After that, use a new cotton cloth and remove the polywatch from the timepiece.
Now you will see the difference in the shine of your timepiece. You can use these steps to remove scratches from the dial or any other materials. The poly watch is available in different online stores. One 5 ml tube is a useful polish minimum of ten timepieces.
2. Polishing with sandpaper
The sandpaper is available in different sizes. It is useful to make the surface smoother and tidy. To polish your timepiece, you will need 1500-grit sandpaper. Using sandpaper is affordable and simple.
Steps to use sandpaper
- First of all, take a 1500- grit sandpaper and run water on it.
- After that, rub the sandpaper on the scratches with light pressure.
- Run the sandpaper for a minimum of two minutes.
- Use more pressure for deep scratches.
- Target a small area of timepiece at a time.
You can purchase sandpaper from a hardware store. If you want, then you can use a polishing cloth that is specially designed for fine metals. Do not put too much pressure while rubbing because it can make the surface uneven.
How to Remove Scratches from Stainless Steel Watch Bracelet
Removing scratches from stainless steel timepiece bracelet is simple with the use of a metal polisher. The jeweler’s cloth method will also work for scratches on a bracelet. Follow these steps to clean scratches on the metal bracelet.
Steps to clean stainless steel bracelet
- Take the best metal polisher and applicator pad or soft cloth.
- Then apply a small amount of metal polisher on the soft cloth.
- After that, rub the cloth on the timepiece bracelet until the scratches get out of the bracelet.
- Then take a new cotton cloth and remove the excess metal polish from the bracelet.
- Repeat the process for deep and hard to remove scratches.
You can also use the jeweler’s cloth method. And it is highly recommended first. If you cannot clean scratches with a jeweler’s cloth, you should use a metal polisher. Pioneer and shino polishing cloth is available in the market.
For deeper scratches, you should also try a fiberglass brush. The fiberglass brush is perfect for small bracelets and timepieces. Do not put too much pressure because small bracelets can break.
You can also try refinishing pens to clean stainless steel timepiece bracelet. The refinishing pens are used for titanium watch bracelet. But sometimes it also works for stainless steel bracelet.
How to Get Scratches Out of Stainless Steel Watch
There are lots of methods to get scratches out of the watch. If you want to polish a timepiece like a factory finish, then there is a method to tidy all parts. With a few tools and tips, this method can tidy the case, bezel, and band.
Getting scratches out of stainless steel watches
Tools you will need
- Stainless steel polishing kit.
- Polishing motor.
- Finger cots.
- Cleaning solution or an ultrasonic machine.
Steps to remove scratches from stainless steel
- Start with placing the muslin buffs on spindles of the polishing motor.
- Make sure to clean the timepiece if it is too dirty.
- For cleaning, use cleaning solutions or ultrasonic machines.
- Then keep the motor speed at medium.
- Now apply the gray star compound on the buffs (apply a small amount).
- Take your timepiece and start pressing it on buff with medium pressure.
- Keep moving your timepiece never hold it in one position.
- Use a cleaning solution and brush to clean the band between the links.
This way, you can clean every part of your timepiece with ease. The gray star compound you will get with the stainless steel polishing kit. While cleaning the timepiece, use a dust collector behind the buffs to keep the surface tidy.
You can also use the fabulustre polishing compound on new buffing wheels. Once you are done with the fabulustre compound, the timepiece will become dirty between the links. However, you can clean it by using a cleaning solution.
How to Protect Your Watch from Scratches
Keeping your timepiece safe from scratching is the best option for all these. Let’s see how you can protect your watch from scratches.
Tips to prevent scratches
- Regularly clean the timepiece with a simple toothpaste method.
- You can rub the nail polish block to remove scratches.
- Use crystal safes available on the market.
- A clean timepiece with ammonia solution to remove dirt
- Remove the scratches once you notice them.
- Do not wear a timepiece when you are engaged in high physical activity.
- Avoid wearing bracelets and chains on your wrist.
These seven tips are necessary to follow if you want to keep the timepiece away from scratches. It is best to use plastic crystal safes to keep your timepiece stylish.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
Question 1: Can toothpaste remove scratches from stainless steel?
Answer: Yes, toothpaste is the best solution to remove minor scratches from stainless steel. Make sure to use whitening toothpaste because it is mildly abrasive and helps to remove scratches. However, for deep scratches, you try other treatments.
Question 2: What kind of toothpaste removes scratches?
Answer: Only whitening toothpaste is useful to remove scratches or clean the timepiece. Another toothpaste is not much abrasive than the whitening toothpaste.
Question 3: How do you get scratches out of a stainless steel bezel?
Answer: You can use jeweler’s cloth or microfiber cloths to remove scratches from stainless steel bezel.
Question 4: How do I keep my stainless steel watch from safe scratches?
Answer: To keep your watch safe from scratches, you should follow the tips we have mentioned. Also, regular cleaning is necessary to remove dirt that can cause scratches.
Question 5: Can a jeweler remove scratches from a watch?
Answer: Surly, a jeweler can remove scratches from the watch with some tools like jeweler’s cloth. Jewelers are experts in this skill that’s why they can remove scratches more effectively.
Question 6: How to remove scratches from stainless steel watch case?
Answer: The case can get scratches because it has a flat and large area. You should try jeweler’s cloth to remove scratches from stainless steel. For deep scratches, you should use a metal polisher and other treatments.
Regular cleaning of your favorite timepiece is the best solution to keep the scratches away. If you want a factory finish, then use polishing kits and other tools. However, it will not give you a factory finish. But, it will give better cleaning than other techniques.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Do Smartwatches Need Data Plans | All Things to know - July 14, 2022
- How to Charge Apple Watch Without Charger - July 10, 2022
- The 7 Best Smartwatches for Small Wrists | 2022 Ultimate Guide - March 5, 2022